Monday, September 19, 2016

Retro Jell-O Salad - A 1960's Betty Crocker Recipe

My gal pal Heidi and her husband invited a few friends over to their house Saturday night to watch "The Beatles: Eight Days A Week- The Touring Years".
 It was requested that each of us bring a dish, preferably Beatles-related.
Well, if you're me and you decide to make a Jell-O salad, the first thing you have to do is hunt down your favorite Tupperware mold that you haven't used for about twenty years:
Done.
I had decided on a "vintage" gelatin salad recipe from my 1969 Betty Crocker Cookbook.
60's - so, I'm in the right era for the film.
"Jell-O, Goodbye" Salad - get it?
"You say goodbye, and I say ..... Jell-O. Jell-O, Jell-O?
 I don't know why you say goodbye, I say Jell-O"
The next thing you do (if you're me - and I am), you take these ingredients along with a couple of others:
 And then you add some orange sherbet to the Jell-O, and then you put it into your vintage Tupperware Jell-O mold until it sets up:
 And then you mix up your ambrosia, and you serve it like this:
I used to make it years ago for holiday dinners, but I hadn't done so in quite some time.
I am so glad to tell you that the salad was a hit!
And, if you're me, that makes you very happy.
We all had a great time, and Ron Howard's film about the Fab Four was fabulous. (Thank you, Heidi and Wes!!)
The recipe is below, just in case anyone is interested.
"Triple-Orange Ambrosial Salad":
It's seriously yummy, believe me.

2 comments:

lorlore said...

That looks so pretty, almost too pretty to eat!!!!!

Anonymous said...

One of my favorites to serve on Thanksgiving. My old BC cookbook is falling apart but there are so many classically good recipes in it which you can’t find online that I can’t throw it out.